11 Dec 2007

The Christmas Spirit


As a child, i used to wonder what i would plan for the coming Christmas and New year. No dont take me wrong..i am an Indian..it doesn't matter to me if i am a hindu or christian. But everyone can sense the spirit in the air in Christmas time. In Manipur, few people decorate Christmas trees and pack gifts as done in western world.Its not about westernizing our culture but the very thought of decorating christmas tress make me jolt in excitement. Christmas time was like a fairy tale to me..like every child would dream of Santa coming down the chimney and give me gifts and toys. I used to think that Santa does not come to Manipur or India at all.
When i grew up,realizing the fact was quite hard for me. When you come to realize something that never happened it would be a disaster. But the christmas spirit still lies in everyones heart,deep down the core...instilled in us.

And deep down my heart, i sense in me the wandering aroma of hangam thongba (cooked mustard leaves) , aloo iromba (preparation of potato with chillies), khongdrum chamfoot (bolied sweet vegetable)...... (manipuri winter dishes)
I can see paona bazar lined up with glitters, cards, chocolates, gifts..
girls roaming in groups.... guys loitering on their CBZs and Pulsars...
the restaurants are full...the traffic police are busy....
there is bug rush in bazar....old imas and aboks selling clothes and accessories...
the sunday market is open....the chilling winter freezes peoples thoughts....
even the newspapers get drenched in the morning fog...
someone ,somewhere smiles and wishpers "winter is here..and a whole new year lie ahead of me"

The winter season however can be harsh to the poor and needy people around you. So it would be a nice idea to give your old clothes and food leftovers to them. That would be the perfect christmas spirit in you. Play Santa for those poor people...its the spirit of giving that one should learn. Merry Christmas to you all

Disqus

comments powered by Disqus