I am starting with a range of Cyber Crime Investigation Case Studies provided as assignment by Asian School of Cyber Laws for their students of Cyber Crime Investigation. Please provide me a possible solution to the case provided and broaden your hacking skills. I will giving comments and hints if you need any in between.I will be giving my solution at the end of the month. So till then keep thinking!
This case study is a simplified version of a case successfully investigated by the Computer Emergency Response Team of Asian School of Cyber Laws.
The names of people, Case Numbers, email IDs and IP addresses etc have been changed in order to protect the privacy of the individuals concerned. All names, case numbers, IP addresses, email IDs are fictitious and any resemblance to any person living or dead or any organization are purely co-incidental.
Note: Neither this case study nor any part thereof may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, microfilming, and recording, or by any information storage or retrieval system, without prior permission in writing from Asian School of Cyber Laws.
- Sia Mukherjee has lodged a complaint with the police that someone has stolen her online banking username and password and fraudulently withdrawn Rs. 250,000.
- On investigation the bank says that they are unable to give details of the IP address of the computer which was used for the alleged fraudulent transaction.
- email@example.com is the official email account of Sia Mukherjee. She has been using this email ID to communicate with the bank. In the past, the bank has sent the password of Sia's online banking account to this email account three times.
- Click here to download the emails that have been recovered by the police from her email account.
- Please advise the police how to proceed.
Asian School of Cyber Laws is the pioneering institute in the field of education, training and consultancy in cyber law, cyber crime investigation and information security. In these fields ASCL works with several Universities and Colleges, Government departments, law enforcement agencies, defence organizations and corporates in several countries.